Director of Studies for Business Studies, Mr S Uddin
Aims & Objectives
- Develop an understanding of business organisations and the environment in which they operate.
- Develop an understand of the aims and objectives of business organisations and how they are organised into functional areas to meet their business aims and objectives.
- To enable learners to understand the skills needed to set up and run a business, and the regulations that need to be complied with, and to have the opportunity to prepare a detailed business plan.
- To equip learners with the knowledge and skills required to make business decisions regarding marketing, human resource management and finance.
Lessons & Homework
Key Stage 4
In year 10 learners will be following one of two pathways:
- BTEC Extended Certificate in Business [Equivalent to two GCSE’s at C or above]
- BTEC Diploma in Business [Equivalent to four GCSE’s at C or above]
Learners will complete assignments that will allow them to develop their understanding of the different types of business and the factors that can influence their success or failure. They will also learn about how and why businesses set aims and objectives and how they organise themselves to achieve these objectives. Learners will also have the opportunity to develop entrepreneurial skills in developing their own business ideas through the creation of a business plan or running a Young Enterprise Company. Some students will also have the opportunity to learn about online business.
In year 11 learners will be completing the BTEC Extended Certificate in Business [Equivalent to two GCSE’s at C or above]
Learners will complete unit assignments that will allow them to develop their understanding of business planning, marketing a small business and financial management for small businesses.
Key Stage 5 [Post 16]
In year 12 students will be following one of two pathways:
- OCR National Certificate in Business Level 2 [Equivalent to four GCSE’s at C or above] – one year course
- OCR National Certificate in Business Level 3 [Equivalent to one full A Level] – two year course
Students taking the Level 2 course will learn about business organisations, business finance, communication in business, running a small enterprise, promotion as well as customer service.
During the first year of the Level 3 course students will complete compulsory assignments that will allow them to learn about the different types of business organisations and about customer service. In addition they will have the opportunity to study one of the optional units.
Students in Year 13 will be completing their full A Level in business Studies. This will involve learners studying one optional unit – either Finance & Accounting or People in Business Organisations. Learners will also be completing a unit on Strategic Management which explores the skills and factors in making good strategic decisions in business.
Assessment at KS4
The BTEC course in Business is internally assessed with each assignment being awarded a pass, merit or distinction grade. There are no external examinations.
Assessment at KS5
The OCR National Certificate in Business at Level 2 and 3 are internally assessed with each assignment being awarded a pass, merit or distinction grade. There are no external examinations.
The A Level in Business Studies is assessed through examinations. In Year 13 students will need to complete two A” examinations in order to achieve the full A Level qualification:
- Optional Unit examination [June 2012] – 40%
- Strategic Management Unit examination [June 2012] – 60%
Students will have an opportunity to run their own business through the Young Enterprise Company Programme scheme.